Forum account registration has been disabled for now due to large spammer volume. Please email me if you would like an account on the forum to chat with others or to set up a sync subscription.
Barcode scanner not finding anything
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    This discussion was created from comments split from: WWDiary subscriptions are now public.
  • I signed up for an account with a subscription and paid through paypal... my bar code scanner scans and says the product is found, but then nothing else happens... what am I doing wrong?
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    @thezfam5
    I split your comment into its own discussion.

The message that it was found (probably something like "barcode found" is coming from the app that is doing barcode recognition and returning the barcode number to me. I have no control over that message. It's basically saying that it found the barcode in the camera image and then it returns that information to my app.

When you have a subscription, I take that info and search the database on my server for the barcode. What happens after you scan the barcode? Does it prompt you to enter in a food name? It's possible the food is not yet entered into my database. It honestly depends on what region you are from and how many others are in that region scanning foods with you.

I've tried paying for a service to look up barcodes across the world and the cost is significant. I'd have to charge significantly more than I currently do to afford it, so I'm making due with what I have.
  • Oh, ok. yes - it is asking me to enter the name of the product. I thought the $1 was to pay for the barcode scanner to produce the point info for that item. I bet it would be expensive - I thought a dollar was a steal, lol. So the "membership dollar" has nothing to do with the barcode scanner?
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    If the item is in the database, then it will find it and return nutrition and point info. If you're in the US there's a good chance that the item will be in there, but depending on the age of the brand of item... barcodes can change even within a region. Where are you located (broadly) and what item were you scanning?
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    @thezfam5 Adding another comment to trigger notification, not sure if you bookmarked the thread.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion