Forum account registration has been disabled for now due to large spammer volume. Please email me if you would like an account on the forum to chat with others or to set up a sync subscription.
How to restore backup from my old SD card onto my new phone?
  • My old phone died and I had to get a new phone. I installed the old SD card into my new phone and have reinstalled the WWDiary app, but I cannot seem to get it to restore my old data. I have a LOT of information in that old database. In the SETTINGS for WWDiary, I press the option to RESTORE DATABASE from the sdcard, and it goes through the motions, but it doesn't load my old data. I have a phone that has both an INTERNAL SD CARD plus my EXTERNAL SD CARD from my old phone, so I don't know how to tell it to restore from a particular location, from my old sdcard. It doesn't give me any option to select WHERE to install the backup from, so I'm guessing that it's not defaulting to using my old sdcard as the source of the data to be restored. Can anyone help with this? I'm very anxious to get my data back, as there was quite a lot of it. I'll be very grateful to anyone who can help. My new phone runs Android 2.3.6, which is GINGERBREAD. The phone itself is an HUAWEI Mercury, Model M886,
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    You can either do this through the computer or on your phone. You need to copy the com.canofsleep.wwdiary folder from your sdcard to internal memory. To do this, you can use an app like EStrong File Manager or another file manager to move the data.

If you have your old phone, one option might be to put the sdcard back in the old phone and then connect it to the computer, copy the folder to your computer, plug the new phone into the computer and move it on to the phone (without moving the sdcard to the new phone)

I think manufacturers are moving away from sdcards... which is unfortunate, cause i like them...
  • Bless your heart for answering so quickly! And for providing such great detail! Unfortunately, my old phone will no longer boot, so I don't think I can connect it to the computer the way I used to. It simply won't start up... got stuck in an endless loop, trying to boot, and can never get to the main desktop on that old cell. So, I put the old sdcard into my new cell, but didn't know how to get that WWDiary database restored. You have given me great instructions! Thank you!!! I will try using my File Manager app to copy that entire folder to internal memory and see if that does the trick. I didn't know the name of the files or folders that needed to be copied, so I'm very grateful that you knew exactly which folder! Again, thank you very much! I'll let you know if I succeed!
  • I'm not sure if I copied that folder to the correct place... It was very hard to figure out where to copy it to. But I copied it somewhere and somehow I got some of my data back! I'm missing the last 2-weeks of information, because I hadn't manually backed it up since a couple of weeks ago, but I've now got all my favorites and my weight log back, plus most of my history, so I'll be able to function now, even with some missing info! I'm so grateful to you. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    No problem!

There's also a sync service that backs up all your data to the servers here and lets you view and enter weight info online. More online tools are under development. But it makes changing phones a breeze, and lets you sync multiple devices if you have a tablet or something.

It's $1/mo if you're interested.
  • NikkiNikki
    This was useful information! I just moved to the EVO 4G LTE from the original EVO. I put the SD card from the original into the new phone and was unable to restore. I followed your instructions and it wasn't working. Took a few minutes to figure out that the phone's internal memory (I guess what I have access to) was mounted as "sdcard" and my old SD card was mounted as "sdcard2." I deleted the com.canofsleep.wwdiary directory from "sdcard" and then copied it from "sdcard2." I was able to restore after that. Hope this info isn't too confusing. :)
  • On my new Note II, I have a directory called /storage/sdcard0/com.canofsleep.wwdiary/ with a database and other files in it. I also have the same directories and files on /storage/extSdCard - the newly installed WWDiary doesn't see either of them.
    Please help.
    Thanks, Ken
  • Never mind - I tried the "Restore from backup" and that got me going again - too bad the last backup I had done was in Feb... Still, it was the older weight history that I treasured the most.
    Thanks!
  • Now how do I reverse the setting of "synch from online data to local db" to be "synch from local db to online data" - cause my online data didn't exist?
  • OK - never mind again; it prompted me...
  • Now - will it synch my local data with online data - continuously?
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    @kenfhenderson yep, as long as your subscription is alive, and the sync option is checked.
  • Bless you for these instructions! Is there not a place on the site that already has this and I missed it, though? Thanks!

~Tina

ddumont said:

You can either do this through the computer or on your phone. You need to copy the com.canofsleep.wwdiary folder from your sdcard to internal memory. To do this, you can use an app like EStrong File Manager or another file manager to move the data.

If you have your old phone, one option might be to put the sdcard back in the old phone and then connect it to the computer, copy the folder to your computer, plug the new phone into the computer and move it on to the phone (without moving the sdcard to the new phone)

I think manufacturers are moving away from sdcards... which is unfortunate, cause i like them...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Tagged