Forum account registration has been disabled for now due to large spammer volume. Please email me if you would like an account on the forum to chat with others or to set up a sync subscription.
Restaurants and many other foods not in database - can't search for items from database?
  • Hi, new here. I paid for the subscription, understanding that it would give me access to the foods database. However, I have found very few items already in the database, items that are even pretty common. And, when entering the names, it will only search for those I've already entered, not checking the whole database...so I'm not able to find any restaurant items, no fruits/veggies (that I've tried). Though $1 is a great price, it doesn't seem to be providing the service I need the most. Am I doing something wrong?
  • ddumontddumont
    Administrator
    @HerMjsty The subscription is for barcode lookups and for multi-device sync/cloud backup.

As you said, it only costs $1 and that's mostly to maintain the servers. The cost of integrating with a nutrition database is astronomical and I would have to devote a large amount of time keeping up with the changes.

I haven't had time yet to look at the free food databases, but they would likely also take a considerable effort.

Entering items always just reads from foods you've entered before (on the assumption that most people eat the same things frequently). The barcode scan should search the online database of all other subscribers for values they've also scanned and entered. Like a crowd-sourced database. Unfortunately as you saw, even common items cannot be found due to manufacturers frequently using regional barcodes for their products :(

When I get time, I am hoping to look at some free barcode databases to see if I can bridge the gap a little.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion